Hi! I'm so glad you want to participate in the WoW Ladies 1001 Journals project -- thanks for your interest!
First off, here are the basics:
WHAT IS IT? The WoW_Ladies traveling journal is a small sketchbook that is sent by mail to a list of people who sign up. This is our second run. We now have multiple U.S. volumes in circulation.
- View our first edition here. The first journal is retired because it got lost and never found its way home.
- The Orange edition: View info | View contributions
- The Pink edition: View info | View contributions
- The Yellow edition: View info | View contributions
- The Green edition: View info | View contributions
- The Blue edition (international edition): View info | View contributions
HOW DOES IT WORK? When it is your turn, the journal will be mailed to you. You have two weeks to contribute, after which you mail it back to the journal maintainer in a self-addressed stamped envelope provided to you.
WHAT DO I WRITE/DRAW? You will be designated three page to write or draw something related to the World of Warcraft (such as about your character, what you like about the game, how you feel about the game, etc.). You need not write in character, although you may. You can draw anything related to the game as well (that is, dragonhawks are OK, but racoons are not).
How do I get my drawings to show up as my contribution online? I am equipped with a flat-bed scanner. When you return the journal to me, I scan your entry and email the image to you for you to upload directly to our journal site.
The journal is a pocket-sized Moleskine Japanese album. These are very unique sketchbooks that consist of one very long sheet of paper that is folded back and forth like an accordion.
The fanfold of the Moleskine Japanese album.
What makes this special is that you get three connected pages... about the length of a full letter-sized sheet of paper. This will give you a substantial amount of space to work with in the confines of a pocket-sized sketchbook. While you can use each pane separately, you are encouraged to treat the three panes/pages as one continuous area.
Eventually, the journal will look something like this:
BECAUSE OF THE UNIQUE SKETCHBOOK FORMAT OF THIS BOOK, YOU ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO ILLUSTRATE YOUR PAGES.
Caution: These books cost $2.00 to ship one way ($4.00 per contributor) which I am covering the cost for. To avoid increased costs, please do not paste or tape things to the pages that may add more weight to the book.
SOUNDS GREAT, HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Step 1: Go to The 1001 Journals Web site at http://www.1001journals.com/ and register yourself. If at all possible, and to make it easier for tracking purposes, please sign up with the same username as your LJ account.
Step 2: Once you have registered there, please leave a comment here with the following (your comments will not be visible to anyone but me):
1. Your 1001 Journals username: _________________
2. Your LJ name: ________________________
3. Your (main) character name, race, class, level, and realm: _____________________________
4. Your real first and last name: ____________________________________
5. Your email address: ________________________________________
6. Your mailing address: ________________________________________
Your mailing address must be current, and must ship to you directly. I will not share your private information (name/address) with anyone else; this is for mailing purposes only.
Important: I will email you when the journal is about to head to you. You must notify me if your address has changed.
Once I have your information, you will receive an invitation from me to join the journal's sign-up list. There is a limit of 10 participants per volume, but be aware that it may still take months before you are at the head of the line. If there is enough demand I can launch additional volumes.
By signing up to participate, you are agreeing that:
- You are a female in real life (not just playing a female character)
- You play or have played World of Warcraft (any level)
- You will be prompt in contributing to your designated pages (1 week is preferred but you have up to 2 weeks) and mailing it back to the journal maintainer promptly so everyone can have a chance to contribute.
- You will not reveal your true identity in the book, as the contents will be scanned and uploaded for public view at the 1001 Journals site.
- You will not write or illustrate anything that is racist, sexist, or explicitly sexual in nature. Common courtesy and hygiene dictate that you not use biofluids as your medium, please (well, I mean... tears are OK but no blood, etc. yeah?)
- Your contribution can be in the form of prose or poetry, fiction (including role play) or nonfiction (including "raid diaries," editorials, essays, an angry letter, a funny anecdote, a touching story, etc.), and/or art created by you. Please avoid pasting screenshots! The travel journal is designed for you to show your creativity. Pencil, charcoal, crayon, colored pencil, watercolor, and acrylics are fine. Due to the slow drying nature of oil paints, please refrain from using them.
- Your entry may be personal in nature; you can speak through your character's voice or your own.
You may opt out of this project at any time; just email me. However, once the journal is shipped to you, you are responsible for putting it back in the mail to me. I will provide a return labeled envelope tucked into the back of the journal so that you can pop it into the mail at any time at your convenience.
I will email you with a confirmation when you are next in the queue. You will need to notify me should your mailing address change at that time.
I hope you are as excited about this as I am!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at email@example.com. Please note that my Teniblue LJ account is primarily for WoW-related posts, but that my main LJ name is Sarahpolk. Thank you!